A must during Christmas time is of course baking Christmas cookies. Now, back home in Austria there are those really, really motivated and in my opinion admirable people who bake ten or twenty different sorts of cookies that are not only tasting amazing but also look like little artworks. Well, I am not that kind of baking person. First of all, I am way to impatient for the necessary chocolate-dipping, sprinkles-decorating and star-shaping. And secondly, my cookies need to be made fast. Because once I start working on the cookies, I basically want to eat them right away. So, the more complicated the recipe and the procedure, the longer it takes – not working for me 😉
My all-time-favourite cookies are chocolate cookies made with cornflakes – Cornflakes Cookies as they are called in my family. They are not only simple but also delicious and not too sweet because of the dark chocolate. Here’s how they go:
You need …
- 250 g butter
- 250 g baking chocolate (or really, really, really dark chocolate)
- 250 g cornflakes
- small paper baking cups (like the ones used for muffins, just smaller)
You do …
- crush the cornflakes into smaller pieces – I just keep them in the bag and squeeze it a couple of times with my hands.
- melt the butter and the chocolate in a big pot – slowly and with low heat to avoid burning.
- take the pot from the oven and add the crushed cornflakes to the melted butter-chocolate mix and stir it – make sure that all the cornflakes are covered in chocolate.
- fill the chocolate-covered cornflakes with a spoon into the paper cups and place them on e.g. a baking tray – I always try to fill the forms with the same amount which is kind of impossible… and it is actually quite nice to have slightly different sizes (in case you sometimes are in the mood for only one small cookie 😉 )
- keep the baking tray in a cold room or in the fridge until the chocolate has hardened – a cold room is usually better, in the fridge the chocolate can get a bit grayish.
- take a cute cookie box and put the chocolate cookies inside – that was the whole magic.
You’ll see how fast the cookie box will be emptied… 😉 Enjoy!